[Cialug] Quickly build a simple Web database app?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Aug 16 11:13:46 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> Is there a tool or framework out there that will let me quickly build
> a simple web front end to a simple database?  The database is very
> simple, just one table with half a dozen columns and a few hundred
> rows.  This is an internal-use only database so prettiness isn't an
> issue.  I've tried building something in TurboGears before but I get
> too bogged down in the myriad of details, I suspect Django would be
> similar.  Language isn't a large concern - I'd prefer Python but would
> live with PHP, Perl, Ruby or other common language.  For a database
> backend I'm pretty open as well.  I like PostgreSQL and CouchDB but
> I'd live with MySQL if I can get this thing going.

I use Django for stuff like this. However Ruby on Rails works as well.

If the datbase table doesn't yet exist then you simply define your model
class and then run syncdb and it creates the table and a web admin area that
lets you create users. The forms are all ready there. It's a pretty simple
replacement for MS Access.

If the table exists already you create your model and then you tell each
field in Django what it's name in the database is. Once that's done you're
ready.

There's a good short tutorial at
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.3/intro/tutorial01/ (only need parts 1
and 2 for your scenario)

Don't install Django via your system's package manager. If you're on Linux
or Mac you can do

    sudo pip install Django

for easy install of Django and dependencies. If you use apt or rpm you'll
get something out of date. (If you'll be doing image uploads then you may
want to install the python PIL module with your package manager)

> --
> Jeff Ollie

Matthew Nuzum