[Cialug] Hardware Problem

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Aug 10 14:11:52 CDT 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011, Nathan C. Smith wrote:

> So, based on the memory testing, I'm thinking this is not a memory
> problem, and since it dies under both OSs it's not a software problem.
> And since the OSs are on different devices it's not a hard drive or CD
> drive problem.  Both are IDE.  I think the boot order is floppy, CD/DVD,
> USB, hard drive if that makes any difference.

I would suspect a cooling fan - CPU or *motherboard chipset* [those were
insidious a few years ago!], or power supply; given the price of hardware
nowdays, you're FAR better off pulling the HDs and installing in a new
computer - chassis, MB, CPU, Memory.

You can even get a new HD for $50, or two for RAID1.

With new HW, you can run your Windoze system in VirtualBox for the best of
both worlds.

	Lee