[Cialug] Hardware Problem

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Aug 10 13:46:29 CDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com>wrote:

> Sounds like it could be a lot of things.  If you didn’t have the power
> supply replaced I would suspect this.

I too have seen all kinds of erratic behavior when power supplies start to
fail. In my experience, it's the most error prone part of a computer.

I've also had a computer's motherboard gradually go out too. I know the
"expiration date" comment was tongue in cheek but some times computers do
just eventually give up the ghost.

The most interesting thing of the very thorough anlysis is that often times
problems surface after load. However you ran a memory test overnight and
then the computer booted fine. Keep in mind the load was on the CPU, memory
and bus, not the power supply, so I still stand by my +1 on that. I'd expect
though, if the problem were the cpu or motherboard the load from the memory
test would have shown it.

--
Matthew Nuzum