[Cialug] resume assistance

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Sep 1 12:17:53 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Tim Champion <timchampion at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM, <j.bengtson at mchsi.com> wrote:
>
>> If you can, go around the HR people.  Find out who the tech managers are,
>> and send your resume directly to them.  You can ask them to "please forward
>> my resume to your HR department", but you really want them to at least skim
>> your resume first.  That's where a good cover letter can be a big help.
>>

> Just letting you know, that doesn't work everywhere. Larger business (one
> in particular that I worked at) had only a single path for a resume to get
> to the hiring manager, and that was through HR.

I can relate. Even if they can't evaluate a person's technical skills they
can often weed out a lot of the cruft. As a tech there are about a thousand
things I'd rather do than read through a bunch of unqualified candidates
resumes. That is HR's job.

(I don't know about where you guys work but my current employer gets a
*tonne* of unqualified resumes)

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way." –Robert Nuzum (My dad)
summarizing an old military quote