[Cialug] Walk-on VMWare

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Oct 22 16:02:13 CDT 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 3:01 PM, Don Ellis wrote:

> I heard recently that one problem with ESX is finding the 'just right' hardware to run it. It can be somewhat restrictive on hardware unless you choose just the right configuration, usually pretty high end.
>
> Anyone else with actual experience with ESX?

"Just right" is true. "High end" is not. I had it running just fine on some low-end consumer-grade Dell desktop once I added enough memory and and and Intel NIC. But until you get all the right bits installed it won't even boot, and even though it's running linux and you might have hardware that's supported by VMWare on stand-alone linux there's no easy way to add drivers for other equipment.

Modern ESX (the versions where they stop displaying linux and start pretending the ESX is a unique OS) has no local console -- it's all web/remote. If you type blindly at it you can still get to a shell, but it's not a supported mode of operation.

	Zach