[Cialug] Walk-on VMWare

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 15:01:55 CDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> Visited a new client this AM, .. they had a pretty sweet setup - 5 VMs
> separated into services (web, email, ..), separate physical Windoze
> machine.
>
> They have a user & root login to the machine that responds to the monitor
> & keyboard, but it has no ssh key traces of connection to the other
> four machines.
>
> Apparently, they have a VMWare environment (recognized name over Xen or
> VirtualBox - the system was build two years ago, so VB is most likely not
> a choice), however I see no evidence OF the environment - the console is
> connected to the first VM, and no evidence of ssh config to the other
> machines.
>
> Have not done much VMWare myself, .. is this common in the VMWare world?
> Assuming there is a DOM0 in place, why would it not be connected to the
> console? How does one connect with the VMWare hypervisor, or to the VMs
> for maintenance work?
>
> Would this perhaps be an ESX installation?

In ESX, I would expect to see a VM solely for control of the VM environment,
and it would be at system level, with none of the usual connections we're
accustomed to.

I heard recently that one problem with ESX is finding the 'just right'
hardware to run it. It can be somewhat restrictive on hardware unless you
choose just the right configuration, usually pretty high end.

Anyone else with actual experience with ESX?

--Don Ellis