[Cialug] WebDAV?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Oct 18 14:56:57 CDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:38 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> At 02:36 PM 10/18/2010, you wrote:
> >Not perfect options but, what about NFS over ssh or svn (does not
> >provide locking exactly, but you can check out files and lock them...ish)
>
> NP for me, .. but these guys wouldn't know a NFS from a mouse. Don't
> need checkout either, just some way to prevent simultaneous access.

Why don't you set up an Apache 2 instance and enable the dav module to test?
I know that one of the configuration options is for the "Lock DB" which
implies there is some kind of locking support.

Also, the question might not be, "can two clients open the file?" but "can
client 2 save to the file that was opened by client 1 first?"

To set up webdav in apache2 on debian or Ubuntu you:

sudo apt-get install apache2
sudo a2enmod dav
sudo a2enmod dav_fs
sudo a2enmod dav_lock

sudo vi /etc/apache2/sites-available/davsite

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerName davsite.something.com
        ServerAdmin webmaster at something.com
        DocumentRoot /srv/davsite
        DAVLockDB /var/lock/apache2/DAVLock
        <Directory /srv/davsite>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        Dav On
        DAVMinTimeout 600
        DAVDepthInfinity On
        AuthName "davsite login"
        AuthType Basic
        AuthUserFile /srv/davsite/.htpassword
        Require valid-user
        </Directory>
        php_admin_value engine off
</VirtualHost>

(exit and save)
sudo mkdir /srv/davsite
sudo htpasswd -cmb /srv/davsite/.htpassword admin password
sudo chown -R www-data.www-data /srv/davsite
sudo a2ensite davsite
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin