[Cialug] Email Archiving

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Oct 6 17:28:04 CDT 2010

Yes, if you are archiving for legal or security reasons, a POP or IMAP solution is insufficient as someone could delete or alter data before it is archived.

The "standard" way to do this on Exchange is to create a dedicated mailbox that silently collects all email and forwards it to the archiving system.  It's also not perfect, but better than POP/IMAP.

In the Linux world, you can do something similar by either modifying the mail flow system to all emails are sent to an archiving daemon (hopefully with verification) or leveraging a port span sort of configuration to duplicate all internal and external traffic and send it to a full packet capture system.

I do not believe that it is reliably possible with systems like GroupWise and Lotus Notes.

-Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net
515-245-7701