[Cialug] ZFS article posted

Jonathan C. Bailey jbailey at co.marshall.ia.us
Wed Oct 6 10:01:11 CDT 2010

We have a similar setup under Nexenta, but disabled the ZIL rather than using an SSD. There are arguments either way, but our system has dual power sources and from what I understand with current SSDs (at least the X25-E), you can't guarantee the data has been fully committed to flash during a power outage.

We are, however, going to add a L2ARC SSD to the mix to speed things up. Our only problem at the moment is that we need an interposer to make it work (we're using SAS drives and using the multipath/dual port option). We've got the recommended interposer, but are going through hell getting it to work physically with the system.

I think we'll end up with an option like this (from another great ZFS based storage build):

http://blogs.iphouse.net/mike/2010/05/a-storage-cluster-is-born/#comment-100

-Jon