[Cialug] Linux Server Spontaneous Reboot?

David Bierce david at bierce.org
Wed Nov 17 08:49:49 CST 2010

You can do it in windows too.  You can look through gobs of unrelated, hard to filter event logs and you can set up some WMI performance monitoring that will give you lots and lots of detail unrelated to the issue your trying to find.

Yes, I'm a little bitter moving to windows since I can't just ps, iostat, top, iotop and grep a log file to find 90% of my server issues.

That out of the way, I haven't had a single random reboot or zombie problem on windows or linux that couldn't be figured out in 5 minutes of looking (A poorly written Java program running as root with a VM size identical to the machines VM) or tracked back to a piece of faulty hardware.