[Cialug] Commerical Interruption

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 17:00:46 CST 2010

Consider how many exchanges consist of one or two words, or even one or two
characters, it wouldn't be all that hard to send lots of messages in a very
short time.

Remember, the abbreviation for 'OK' is 'K' -- which is what my wife sends to
acknowledge my message that I'm on the way home. Message and acknowledgement
= 4 messages, my message sent and received, her single character message
sent and received. On my plan, messages aren't pooled, so I get hit for one
sent, one received, and she gets the same.

Although the cost [to the customer] is the same whether it's a single
character or a full SMS message (150 chars), I wonder if the overhead
differs? Also, T-Mobile allows in-network SMS greater than 150 characters,
so I frequently go over 150. If my recipient isn't in-network (someone other
than my wife), they may get dinged for several messages and I only get
charged for one.

--Don Ellis