[Cialug] Asterisk & Moblin?

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Nov 5 11:01:17 CDT 2010

On Nov 5, 2010, at 10:19 AM, L. V. Lammert wrote:

> Looking at a small fanless CPU to build a VOIP system for the office
> (16 phones, four SIP trunks), .. our distributor has a  Atom box
> (UNO-2173A/AF) at a decent price, but it only specs "Moblin" compatbility.
>
> Is a 1.6GHz box enough horsepower for a small Asterisk system? Would
> Asterisk 'like' Moblin', or would a standard kernel be better?

Unless you're doing codec conversion or conference calling, Asterisk has essentially no CPU load -- it just forwards data frames from one UDP packet to another. Even with one or both of those processes remember that frame sizes are typically very small -- ulaw voice is 64 kbps and most codecs are smaller -- so the total amount of data you have to process is quite small.

So in short, the answer is yes, I think 1.6 GHz would be plenty for a system that size as long as you aren't doing anything terribly complicated. I've got an old 1.8 GHz AMD Athlon 3000 running my Asterisk system. Admittedly I rarely have more than 2 or 3 concurrent calls, but I've never run into any CPU load issues, even with call recording, music-on-hold, etc.

You might also look at FreeSwitch instead of Asterisk. I haven't played with the 1.8 series of Asterisks, but IMHO FreeSwitch is a better choice at least compared to the 1.6 and 1.4 trees.

	Zach