[Cialug] Asterisk & Moblin?

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Fri Nov 5 10:31:25 CDT 2010

The famous Asterisk answer is "it depends".  I had Asterisk running on linksys WRT54Gs and SLUGs so it really does depend on what you need.
You want a kernel you can tweak for realtime-like performance, you'll probably need a lot of standard dev tools if you are building from source.
For hardware It is also better to have a good FPU if you will have lots of simultaneous calls and do any transcoding of codecs.  It sounds like you might not need to do transcoding if you keep everything at a consistent codec between the phones and sip trunks.  If you start adding web interfaces and conferencing and more bells and whistles you may be underpowered - particularly if you switch to one of the custom Asterisk distros or a turnkey product.

SuperMicro has some nifty Atom boxes that are 1 U and about 12" deep that would probably make a great small business system.

Are all Atoms Dual core and 64 bit?

-Nate