[Cialug] Phony questions

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Thu Nov 4 19:30:42 CDT 2010

I have an iPhone and love it.  One complaint I've heard about the iPhone is
Android does more than the iPhone does.  I've chosen not to jailbreak mine
(the equivalent of rooting an Android), but I hear it is pretty easy to do.
 If I did, I'd get a lot more of the functionality that the Android users
enjoy by default.

It appears that AT&T's Android phones suck because they want you to go to an
iPhone.  Basically, it's a marketing ploy: "Android phones? Yep, we got
'em!"  But in reality, they're far from what Sprint and Verizon (and I'm
guessing T-Mobile) offer.

For some, the requirement of iTunes is enough to keep them from the iPhone.
 But it's nice to have one app to get things to and from the phone.

If some other carrier offered an iPhone would I switch carriers?
 Absolutely.  I'm not overly taken with AT&T, although it has been better
lately.  If that same carrier also offered a decent Android option, I might
be tempted to jump ship.  The one problem is, I have a lot of apps, and
having to even find those apps (let alone buy them) on another phone could
be problematic.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Dan Hockey <icepuck3k at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been looking at android phones for a about two weeks now mainly
> because my razor v3x is having problems and I was wondering if there's
> anyone better than att. My bill keeps going up ever since my contract
> expired about 8 months ago.For 450min and unlimited data I'm over $80month
> now.
>  ATT's selection of android phones is depressing, they keep wanting me to
> upgrade to an iphone. I've been with att since the first razor and I've had
> three so far. A friend of mine has a new iphone and I hate to say it but I'm
> not impressed with it.
> Target had a non functioning display of androids(verizon I think) but I'd
> like to use one before I make up my mind.
> I'd like to have some sort of data plan so I can use it as a backup when my
> home internet is overloaded with youtube or not working.
> -dan
>
> "This is only temporary ... unless it works." - Red Green
>
> -

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/