No subject

Sun May 23 21:44:32 CDT 2010

=0A=
Why a book on time management just for SAs? This book needs to be=0A=
different from your average =93time management=94 book because SAs are=0A=
different.=0A=
In particular:=0A=
=0A=
- Our problems are different. SAs have an unusually high number of=0A=
interruptions that prevent us from getting our projects done.=0A=
=0A=
- Our solutions are different. SAs can handle more high-tech solutions=0A=
such as request trackers, email filtering with procmail, automation=0A=
scripts, and other tools unsuitable for the average, non-technical=0A=
person.=0A=
=0A=
- We lack quality mentoring. SAs need to learn the fundamentals of to=0A=
do list management, calendar management, and life-goal management just=0A=
like anyone else. However, our normal career path usually doesn=92t lend=0A=
itself to learn these things. Our mentors are technical peers, often=0A=
on email lists, and often in different parts of the world. There are=0A=
fewer opportunities to learn by watching, as a supervisor often learns=0A=
from a director.=0A=