No subject

Sun May 23 21:44:32 CDT 2010

Why a book on time management just for SAs? This book needs to be
different from your average =93time management=94 book because SAs are
different.
In particular:

- Our problems are different. SAs have an unusually high number of
interruptions that prevent us from getting our projects done.

- Our solutions are different. SAs can handle more high-tech solutions
such as request trackers, email filtering with procmail, automation
scripts, and other tools unsuitable for the average, non-technical
person.

- We lack quality mentoring. SAs need to learn the fundamentals of to
do list management, calendar management, and life-goal management just
like anyone else. However, our normal career path usually doesn=92t lend
itself to learn these things. Our mentors are technical peers, often
on email lists, and often in different parts of the world. There are
fewer opportunities to learn by watching, as a supervisor often learns
from a director.