[Cialug] new wireless router: default firmware or custom?

Dan Hockey icepuck3k at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 18:21:13 CDT 2010

How 'bout one of the following?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122223
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122334

--- On Wed, 5/12/10, Kendall Bailey <kendall at baileyplex.com> wrote:

From: Kendall Bailey <kendall at baileyplex.com>
Subject: Re: [Cialug] new wireless router: default firmware or custom?
To: "Central Iowa Linux Users Group" <cialug at cialug.org>
Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 3:58 PM

I recently bought a very inexpensive (rebated) Asus WL-520GU router and flashed it with DD-WRT.  I plugged in an old usb printer to the router and set up a print service on the router.  It can also mount a usb drive and has an ftp service.  I think it could do samba too, but I haven't gone that far.  It's working very well for me.  Everything I read about the router was positive about the hardware and advised replacing the firmware.  It took a couple hours to do the multiple steps but it was well documented.

Kendall