[Cialug] new wireless router: default firmware or custom?

Kendall Bailey kendall at baileyplex.com
Wed May 12 15:58:12 CDT 2010

I recently bought a very inexpensive (rebated) Asus WL-520GU router and
flashed it with DD-WRT.  I plugged in an old usb printer to the router and
set up a print service on the router.  It can also mount a usb drive and has
an ftp service.  I think it could do samba too, but I haven't gone that
far.  It's working very well for me.  Everything I read about the router was
positive about the hardware and advised replacing the firmware.  It took a
couple hours to do the multiple steps but it was well documented.

Kendall