[Cialug] migrating from ubuntu server to debian

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Thu Mar 25 06:48:02 CDT 2010

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> OK, I played with it at lunch and a bit while on a conf call this
> afternoon and have it working. I did basically what you said but grub2
> was a disaster. Specifically, grub2 + lvm was a disaster. One trick
> not mentioned is in lenny you need to install lvm2 and I think mdadm.
>
> Also, the default install of Ubuntu Server create a separate /boot
> partitoin not managed by lvm so I had to mount it in the chroot before
> installing the kernel in the chroot environment.
>
> I'm going to do another dry run in virtualbox to make sure I have it
> and will document my steps and re-post, but I do want to say that I've
> had success. Thanks a bunch Paul.

There's always a "gotcha"...  Sorry to hear about the grub2 fiasco.  That was
unexpected (by me, but mainly because I don't usually use LVM).

One other recollection over night -- you may need to generate an /etc/hosts file
with at least localhost defined.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\