[Cialug] migrating from ubuntu server to debian

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Mar 24 17:13:58 CDT 2010

OK, I played with it at lunch and a bit while on a conf call this
afternoon and have it working. I did basically what you said but grub2
was a disaster. Specifically, grub2 + lvm was a disaster. One trick
not mentioned is in lenny you need to install lvm2 and I think mdadm.

Also, the default install of Ubuntu Server create a separate /boot
partitoin not managed by lvm so I had to mount it in the chroot before
installing the kernel in the chroot environment.

I'm going to do another dry run in virtualbox to make sure I have it
and will document my steps and re-post, but I do want to say that I've
had success. Thanks a bunch Paul.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Paul Gray <gray at cs.uni.edu> wrote:
> Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>> Hi Paul, you're memory is pretty good. I've tweaked a few things and
>> once I'm done I'll reply w/ the exact steps I used and know work.
>>
>> I'm in the chroot section trying to decide if I need an initrd and
>> noticed that /boot is completely empty. This implies I'm going to need
>> something, I think. Any suggestions on what? Does apt-get install
>> linux-image-2.6... sound right?
>>

> Good to hear!  I realized that I made a few typo's (for posterity:
> forgetting /debian off the cns mirror reference to the debootstrap
> command, space between target and dev, and not specifying that you'd
> need to do "dpkg-reconfigure locales" to get the errors to go away), but
> I'm glad that you've made it this far.
>
>  apt-get install linux-image
>
> should get you a kernel to boot.  Make sure that it creates an initrd,
> otherwise you'll want to manually generate one with the mkinitramfs command.
>
> Another issue: You will want to populate /etc/fstab before you reboot.
>
> One thing you might want to do inside the chroot to get a
> smoother-working system is simply run "tasksel", and populate your new
> system with default configurations.
>
> With regard to grub, if you install grub2 in the new Debian target,
> you'll be prompted to choose the boot drive - which will overwrite your
> Ubuntu grub configuration.  That's a bit discomforting when you're doing
> things remotely.  However, the grub2 installer will then run the
> 30_os-prober to find all of your bootable partitions, and I'd bet that
> it'll find your Ubuntu partitions and add them to the list.  Give it a
> spin in VBox, and the right solution should bubble up to the surface.
>
> -PG

Matthew Nuzum