[Cialug] SOT: multicast and TTL

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Mar 18 10:52:40 CDT 2010

If your firewall and/or internet router do not have multicast enabled
then no multicast packets will get past them. If your switch is smart
enough only the hosts/devices that request the multicast traffic will
receive it. You can set the TTL to 1 just to be sure it doesn't
escape. A TTL of 0 will probably cause the packets not to leave the
originating host.

On 3/18/10, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> I'd like to multicast video on the local segment, but I don't want it going
> any farther or flooding my router, etc.
>
> The TTL (time to live) setting is to determine how many router hops a
> multicast packet can take - at least this is my understanding.  If you want
> the packet to go no further than your subnet, do you set TTL to 0 or 1?  Or
> does it matter?
>
> Also, Wouldn't a firewall with egress filtering turned up prevent high port
> number multicast packets from going out?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Nate
>

> (Do you think if the person that wrote the RFP that introduced TTL was a
> BladeRunner fan it would have been called TTD for Time to die?)

Jeff Ollie