[Cialug] SOT: multicast and TTL

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Mar 18 09:40:24 CDT 2010

I'd like to multicast video on the local segment, but I don't want it going any farther or flooding my router, etc.

The TTL (time to live) setting is to determine how many router hops a multicast packet can take - at least this is my understanding.  If you want the packet to go no further than your subnet, do you set TTL to 0 or 1?  Or does it matter?

Also, Wouldn't a firewall with egress filtering turned up prevent high port number multicast packets from going out?

Thanks.

-Nate

(Do you think if the person that wrote the RFP that introduced TTL was a BladeRunner fan it would have been called TTD for Time to die?)