[Cialug] Burned out power supply

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Mon Mar 1 14:54:17 CST 2010

I'm going to weigh in on this too.  I've had the same thing happen in the past, even with a UPS connected to the power supply.

I believe the capacitors in the power supplies have a limited life span.  Three-years? 10 years? - I don't know, but finite.

I think that inexpensive power supplies and those included with many white-box style machines and cases are not expected to be run 24x7 as many of us like to do.  (I'm not saying the one in question was inexpensive either - I don't know).

I think even good power supplies have the potential to die after a time and take the motherboard with them - I don't know why there isn't some kind of built-in motherboard protection - or better protection.

I think the best you can do is protect your system with a UPS and spend way more than you should have to on a good or better power supply.

Another option is a power regulator, APC, Tripp-Lite, and some other manufacturers make some that can clip high voltages and boost low ones.  Less expensive than a UPS and the batteries never fail, but not quite the same protection.

-Nate