[Cialug] Linux (ubuntu) burning

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Wed Jun 2 22:12:35 CDT 2010

I haven't used either of these programs because none of the three
computers I have ubuntu installed on has a CD/DVD burner, but while
looking around on the web I noticed that Brasero uses gstreamer to do
all the audio gruntwork (and likely the video stuff too?).  I would
check to make sure that gstreamer is handling mp3s properly, first.
MP3s have always been a source of trouble for me on linux because of the
licensing issues, and any 'fix' you may have followed to make mp3s play
may not have actually 'solved' the problem.  There was a way in the past
to make mp3s play using xmms, but I'm not sure that it actually made
mp3s recognizable to other programs.

In ubuntu there are several different gstreamer plugins that handle a
variety of free/open-source and patented/licensed codecs:
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?  In ubuntu 7.10 the mp3 functionality
was in the 'ugly' gstreamer package.  Pop open Synaptic and see if you
have these plugins installed already.  You may have to enable software
sources for multiverse, restricted, etc to make these packages
available.  If you're like me and you tend not to pay a whole lot of
attention to licensing and whatnot, then I'd recommend enabling all the
sources and just pulling down all the gstreamer plugins, but otherwise
you should talk to someone who knows something.  Luckily, none of my
ubuntu installs does much other than running server software (Ubuntu
8.04LTS Server) or keeping an eye on servers (Ubuntu 10.04LTS Netbook
Remix), so I haven't had to deal with those issues... I assume my iPod
Touch is properly licensed to play mp3s, and I assume that if Windows 7
isn't, Microsoft can foot the bill.  Maybe I'll have a look on my
netbook to see if transcoding works, though.

--Matt