[Cialug] Linux (ubuntu) burning

Jason Warden firstpunicwar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 21:34:41 CDT 2010

Hey & hello -
After a few years not really using Linux I dived back in and dedicated by
main machine to Ubuntu. I am STILL aglow over how easy the install is. I
used all the big distros from the early 2000s, Mandrake, SuSE, and am amazed
how far the desktop has come. No configuring anything in /etc, no hardware
that didn't work right, none of the old hassles. Very easy to find the
software to play proprietary software like mp3s or wmvs . Synaptic works and
even after I installed everything under the sun it still works. (still have
nightmares over urmpi) Very impressed. The only real difficulty I had was
finding a music player that worked with my Creative Zen mp3 player but once
I got Amarok working (it needed a couple tweaks) I am flying.
I do have one question, and I'm sure there's an idiot-proof solution but I
can't find it. I tried the two major cd burning programs for burning audio,
the Brasero and k3b. Brasero looks good but for me doesn't work - every time
it gets to transcoding mp3s it crashes and leaves a weird looking file in my
temp drive. k3b, better, but won't autotranscode mp3s I drop in - I have to
make 'em .wavs in a term window and then I can burn. Is there a way to
either make k3b behave with mp3s or is there some wonderful program I don't
know exists?

(also, what the heck happened to xmms? I got a lot of 'stuff' from synaptic
but nothing gives me the traditional xmms. Which is a shame because it had a
really easy way to make flacs and mp3s and whatever you want into .wavs...)

-Jason