[Cialug] I Remember When Computer Specs

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Thu Jul 29 15:20:14 CDT 2010

On 7/29/2010 3:01 PM, David Runneals wrote:
> I'm waiting until the days that we have yottabyte HDDs w/ Petabyte
> RAM... I just know its coming in the future...

I don't know about a yottabyte (2^80 bits) but ZFS is a 128-bit
filesystem and if you tried to fully populate a 128-bit storage pool it
would require more energy than boiling the oceans.  See this link for an
interesting read on the physical limits of storage. The article does
have a few mistakes so read the comments to get the entire story.

http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/entry/128_bit_storage_are_you

Eric