[Cialug] DSL speeds

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Tue Jul 20 14:33:49 CDT 2010

I'm not a big proponent of fixed wireless like wimax. There's a finite amount of spectrum available and it's possible for each specific technology to get 'full'. Look at the evolution of wifi and even cordless telephones. I had a 49 mhz phone and it had great sound until every other house had one. We all moved to 900 mhz and it was good for a while. Then we went to 2.4 and 5.8 ghz and the range kept decreasing and the quality kept decreasing.

It's very difficult to beat the bandwidth of a (good) copper or fiber network...

dave