[Cialug] DSL speeds

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Tue Jul 20 11:36:27 CDT 2010

The recent discussion of DSL got me thinking. Is distance from the
DSLAM/CO the primary factor in determining what the fastest DSL speed I
can get? I have 3MB and would like to get 7MB but it is not available in
my area (North Ankeny). What does Qwest need to do before I could get
7MB? Do they need to install a DSLAM closer to my house or maybe they
need to run fiber from the CO to the remote DSLAM? Could I convince them
to hook me up at 7MB eventhough I may not get the full 7MB?

Eric