[Cialug] OT Developer productivity - was: Which software to use for a SAN

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Wed Jul 7 18:58:29 CDT 2010

On Jul 7, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> What about display refreshing? As I'm picturing this in my mind I think of something like Terminal Server which often don't have quite as fast of a display update as my desktop.

There is going to be more latency. And that might be annoying in its own right because interface lag is always a problem. But that isn't the kind of "instant feedback" we're talking about in terms of giving users fast workstations and optimizing build processes. Anything under a few seconds is pretty close to instant for a compile process -- it just needs to be short enough that you're not tempted to go something else -- so a sub-second input lag is not directly relevant.

Also if you run appropriate color depth for you connectivity, modern terminal services are quite responsive. It's not how I'd run a FPS, but I haven't ever been bothered when using terminal services/screen sharing over the LAN. I use synergy quite frequently and treat separate machines like a single host; that doesn't send video over the network, but it has a similar amount of input lag. RDP/VNC is use less often, but I played for several weeks with an RDP-based thinclient setup for one my clients and was never annoyed by the lag.

	Zach