[Cialug] OT Developer productivity - was: Which software to use for a SAN

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jul 7 16:51:24 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Jeff Davis <me at digitaljeff.com> wrote:

> As as admin and previously been a developer, I want the developers as
> "comfortable" as possible.  I want the infrastructure to have as little
> pain
> as possible so they are as productive as possible.  If a developer is
> losing
> 15 minutes a day on an annoyance and I can fix it in an hour, I'm going to
> find the time to fix it.  It goes both ways... so if I'm seeing
> something that looks to be
> a code problem I can hit up a developer for time right now without
> having to send
> a meeting invite and involving two BAs and a Project Manager.  GTD
> sans bureaucracy.

I wonder if there's a way you can measure wait times for users. By that I
mean how long the user has to wait for their system. For example, how fast
does it take helpful tool tips / intellisense / auto complete information to
appear (1 second is too long). If your system does continuous builds as you
work so you can see errors as you go, how long does a build take? (30
seconds is too long). How long does it take to launch the application you're
developing?

You should probably go watch your devs work. Find one who is especially
productive and just sit behind them and watch for 10 min. Don't talk,
interrupt, try to help - just watch. Maybe, if you can do this, use screen
sharing or mirroring to watch from a different location (but let them know).

Make careful notes about how long the developer is waiting and when. I'd
worry less about boot time or startup time for the tools as long as they run
fast once the dev gets going.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Never stop learning" –Robert Nuzum (My dad)