[Cialug] OT Developer productivity - was: Which software to use for a SAN

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Wed Jul 7 14:57:54 CDT 2010

On 7/7/2010 2:39 PM, Todd Walton wrote:
> Strange. I'm still learning the art of being a sysadmin.  But at
> Wellmark we treat developers as recipient citizens.  You take what we
> give you and you be happy about it.  We'll give you all we have to
> give but don't you dare be complaining about not getting more!
> There's no real drive to find and repair the specific causes of
> developer angst.  We make the environment the best we can out of
> personal pride, but anything more is beside the point.

I think that in itself shows how much value programmers have at your
company. Companies such as Microsoft and Google are primarily software
companies and value their programmers whereas Wellmark is a health care
company and developers may be of less importance to the primary role of
the company.

I think this Programmer's Bill of Rights is a good list of things that
programmers should have.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/08/the-programmers-bill-of-rights.html

1. Every programmer shall have two monitors
2. Every programmer shall have a fast PC
3. Every programmer shall have their choice of mouse and keyboard
4. Every programmer shall have a comfortable chair
5. Every programmer shall have a fast internet connection
6. Every programmer shall have quiet working conditions

Eric