[Cialug] a thought on srm

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Sun Jan 31 15:19:12 CST 2010

Kenneth Younger wrote:
> By the way, if any of you are curious, I ended up adding 'srm*' to my
> HISTIGNORE variable in .bash_profile filtered the command from the history.

If you're conscientious about what you type in light of your bash history,
enable ignorespace (usually enabled by default in Debian).  Then if you add a
space to the front of the command and it won't be registered in your history.

% ls  <= registered in your history
%  ls <= not registered in your history.

That way, if you have something other than "srm" in your command that you don't
want saved, it's easy to keep it out of your history.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/using-bash-history-more-efficiently-histcontrol

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\