[Cialug] a thought on srm

Kenneth Younger kyounger at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 15:05:38 CST 2010

I was srm'ing a bunch of files and at one point typed <up>, modified the
command, and hit <enter> to delete a similarly named one. Pretty standard
practice.

I then had a realization that the command I was using to securely delete the
sensitive information actually left behind the file name of the file I was
deleting in my bash history. But that also got me wondering where else
things might get left behind and thought I'd see what everyone's thoughts
were on that.

By the way, if any of you are curious, I ended up adding 'srm*' to my
HISTIGNORE variable in .bash_profile filtered the command from the history.

-Kenny