[Cialug] Argh/Microsoft/Argh

John Lengeling John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Wed Jan 27 16:50:35 CST 2010

Be aware, for people who use copy/paste to copy files under Windows,
there is no 100% guarantee that this will work as expected.   If there
are permission problems on the source files, the copy/paste will
SILENTLY fail to copy the file to the destination but the GUI will
appear to successfully copy all files.

So if you absolutely/positively want to make sure the files are all
copied, you need to use something like robocopy.

I learned the hard way by moving some directories from one server to
another.   I decommissioned the old server and then users discovered
tons of missing files.

Thanks Microsoft.