[Cialug] Argh/Microsoft/Argh

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Wed Jan 27 11:27:06 CST 2010

On Jan 27, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:

> The popup window you saw should really read:
> "I know you told me to delete this, but I was really just moving it over here.
> I can't do that, so do you want me to really delete this?"

I've never understood that restriction. Do files in the recycle bin take up more space than they did when they were in another folder? Do they start to rot ad need to be placed in heavy-duty, leak-proof directories?

I know it's just some limit related to how much Windows thinks you should keep in the trash, but that limit is completely artificial and I don't understand why you'd impose it in the first place. Even if you really thought that no one should have more than X% of their disk in use for trash -- though I can't imagine what business your OS has deciding that for you -- why not simply throw a warning after the operation instead of interrupting and changing the usual behavior of the delete function?

	Zach