[Cialug] Argh/Microsoft/Argh

James Shoemaker james at dhlake.com
Wed Jan 27 10:38:58 CST 2010

Jeff Davis wrote:
> That's a result of too many people not understanding what DELETE means.
> Now when you try to "delete" something it basically just gets moved to
> a different folder.
> The popup window you saw should really read:
> "I know you told me to delete this, but I was really just moving it over here.
>  I can't do that, so do you want me to really delete this?"
>
> I have no problem with the concept of a trash bin, but it should be
> called something else.

   Since it's called a recycle bin it is called something else.

> Personally I think it would be great if when you deleted a file it
> actually got deleted and then would write a random collection of
> 1's and 0's in its place.

the "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when
deleted" setting is one of the first things I do on a new XP install,
right along with turning off "hide extensions".

XP just needs a shredder icon sitting next to the recycle bin, then you
can decide if you want to just move it to a box, or shred it.  OS/2 used
a shredder as you couldn't get back deleted files from it.

James