[Cialug] Old Debian packages

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jan 25 10:06:59 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
> wrote:

> Nevermind the noise. I did a bit more digging and have discovered the
> problem is not Iceweasel. The problem was the "flashplugin-nonfree"
> package. There must have been a recent update to that package that
> causes Iceweasel to die. <sigh> Now i have to find a replacement. Any
> suggestions? There's a "flashplayer-mozilla" package, but it just plain
> doesn't work (shows a useless blank space where flash movies should be).
> There's also a "swfdec-mozilla" package, but past experiences leads me
> to believe it won't work on the majority of flash objects.

I'm sorry, I don't use Ice Weasel so can't be certain my suggestion will
work, but if possible, I'd suggest going right to the Adobe page and
installing the plugin from them.

I've given up fighting about flash. In this (one) regard, Adobe has invested
enough effort to make it work well on Linux and I've had the best experience
with their version.

I don't know if the ubufox package is available to you, but if it is, then
you might want to install it. With it you can install multiple flash players
and choose the one you want to use.

Another option is to use the flashblock plugin. When using the flash package
it largely fixed my problems with crashing. It is a bit inconvenient for
instances where a page has a hidden flash control, like some of advanced
file upload controls.

--
Matthew Nuzum