[Cialug] KMail misinterpreting plain text

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:03:03 CST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> For what it's worth, after asking the general KDE list and then the KDE
> PIM list (the one that pertains to KMail) i got a response from the
> maintainer of KMail. There is no way to disable the "feature".

Plain text is the very life blood of computing, the final wall against
which everything else is supported.  When mountains crumble, the sea
boils away, and this chunk of dirt called Earth ceases to be, the last
thing we should be able to count on is plain text being plain text.

At least they're not encoding the text in something other than plain,
but that's only the first part of the enchilada.  The other
foot-enchilada must come down as well, plain text must be displayed
plainly.  What hubris is this that the KMail developers know a person
will always use slashes for italicization or asterisks for bold?  I
have a database with a few table names like _SMDBA_.  So much for
emailing SQL queries, eh?

They should know better.

--
Todd