[Cialug] Robert Half and/or local consulting company experiences.

Tim Champion timchampion at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 19:24:49 CST 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Morris Dovey <mrdovey at iedu.com> wrote:

> On 1/16/2010 1:38 PM, Nick Fox wrote:
>
> > I have worked with Robert Half in the past and had nothing but a
> > negative experience working with them. They will do whatever it takes to
> > get you into a position that makes them money, including being less than
> > truthful with their contractors about the positions. I would never
> > recommend them to anyone.
>
> Some time ago I experienced much the same with them - except that in my
> case it was the client with whom I felt they were being less than
> truthful. My conclusion at the time was that I couldn't afford to be
> associated with them regardless of rate.
>
> IIRC, they also wanted me to accept a financial obligation that was to
> persist beyond the time they paid me - and that (for me) was/is a
> showstopper. I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
>
> --
> Morris Dovey
> DeSoto Solar
> DeSoto, Iowa USA
> http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/
>
> I've worked through Robert half for 2 gigs. It wasn't bad at all. They
saved by butt when I needed something quickly. They worked very hard and
fast to find something for me. That gig turned out to be a 6 month contract.
That employer hired me at the end of the contract, and I'm still there.

They will "market" you, sometimes marginally ethically. could stretch your
skills to employers, or leave out negative things about the employer.  The
good thing about taking a cut of your pay is that they make more when you
make more, and they'll try and get you a good rate.

Personally, I've had very good luck with them. Just be as honest as
possible, and don't lie about your skills to the recruiter, or the potential
employer.

I've also been placed by Paragon once. I find them very professional and
ethical.

Tim Champion
timchampion at gmail.com