[Cialug] 2 web servers 1 IP

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Wed Jan 13 00:46:44 CST 2010

Just a word of warning with webmin.  I was setting up some vhosts for
apache and webmin was having some strange parsing errors.  This was an
Ubuntu server 8.04 LTS install with the latest apache2 and webmin from
the ubuntu repositories.  It was tacking portions of the word
'localhost' or 'localdomain' on to the end of the directive that
specifies the name of the vhost.  The strange thing about it was that it
would drop a portion of the end of the vhost name and a portion of the
beginning of the 'localhost' or whatever string it had in mind.  I ended
up going back through the vhost files it generated and fixing the issues
manually.

On the other hand, webmin did a spectacular job of getting virtual
interfaces up to use all the ips assigned to the box.  Basic moral of
the story, I guess, is that you shouldn't use webmin to modify anything
that you can't learn to config by hand (but if it's broken and no amount
of googling will help, cross your fingers and go for it?).