[Cialug] 2 web servers 1 IP

mattnuzum at gmail.com mattnuzum at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 14:13:27 CST 2010

2010/1/11 jrnosee <jrnosee at gmail.com>

> Ok, so I'm not trying to play off of that 2x1y crap floating around.
>
> What I've got is a box running VMWare Server with a Web Server running
> Apache2 that I use regularly.  I'm helping out my church by pre-building
> another VM running the same to be used for their Joomla site and will
> eventually be moved to their new server.  The server they have now crashes a
> lot so I've offered to host off my server until the VM can be moved, but I'm
> not sure how to set up the infrastructure to allow web hosting off of two
> separate VM's with one IP.  I'm guessing a proxy must be used, but I don't
> know what to install or how to set it up.

Look into Nginx. It will do exactly what you want and can actually increase
the performance of your apps by reducing the number of connections to your
application server (Apache in this case).

Put your VMs on an internal IP or on the external IP but with a high port
number then put Nginx on your standard ports 80 and 443. It can use very
sophsticated rules (mod_rewrite and etc) for directing traffic to the right
place.

We talked about this recently at the Des Moines Web Geeks meeting. Our next
meeting is Monday Feb 1 at 7:00 and we'll discuss php frameworks. (it will
be a round table format this time and we're looking for people w/ experience
to participate)

--
Matthew Nuzum