[Cialug] Httpd and tomcat configuration

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Jan 7 18:52:17 CST 2010

Yep.  I worked with Tomcat about four years ago.

Then I stopped.

I was happier then.

More seriously, when I used it, I just did proxies to the other port.
It may not scale as well, but it was a lot simpler.  I think I get my
hands on a similar configuration that I did for JBoss, if you want to
look at doing it that way.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Mathew R. Phillips" <mathew.phillips at wartburg.edu> 01/07/10 6:39 PM

Does anyone on here have experience running tomcat through the httpd
server? I've been banging my head against the wall all day trying to get
it to work and I'm getting a 404 resource not found error from tomcat on
my page so I know its talking to httpd. The jsp page im trying to load
is in the autoloaded webapps folder in my tomcat install dir. My
virtualhost file looks like:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        DocumentRoot /var/www/hosp
        ServerName hospital

                Options FollowSymLinks +Indexes
                AllowOverride None

        Alias /student/ /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/examples/

        JKMount /student        tomcat
        JKMount /student/*      tomcat

        # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error,
crit,
        # alert, emerg.
        LogLevel                debug
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/hosp_error.log
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/hosp_access.log combined

I'm just trying to get the sample jsp's that come with tomcat to be
served with httpd before I try and get my webapps working. I feel like
im really close and I'm just missing something silly.

Note: when i use http://hospital:8080/examples/ it works just fine
because the tomcat server is running on that port so I know the files
can be served.

Matt