[Cialug] DVD+R or DVD-R or DVD-RAM

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Sun Feb 28 14:46:15 CST 2010

In my experience, DVD-R is able to be read by more DVD players, especially
older ones.  DVD-RAM is nice (my set top DVD recorder does that too), but
they're too expensive.  I use them for short-term, "not going to watch again
in the distant future" recordings, or to share a "I saw this, and thought
you'd like it" type show with friends (providing they have something that
can play DVD-RAM).

This is something I found a while back, but I think it does a good job of
"de-mystifying" the DVD formats:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-formats.htm

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> I bought a DVD/VHS combo deck to dub some VHS to DVD (the one-button
> dubbing should be nice-and-easy).  Which format: DVD+R, DVD-R, or
> DVD-RAM?  Looks like -RAM is basically non-existent media-wise.  +R
> and -R are both about $20/100 pack.  Flip a coin?
>

> Colin

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/