[Cialug] DVD+R or DVD-R or DVD-RAM

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Sun Feb 28 14:05:45 CST 2010

On Feb 28, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Colin Burnett wrote:

> I bought a DVD/VHS combo deck to dub some VHS to DVD (the one-button
> dubbing should be nice-and-easy).  Which format: DVD+R, DVD-R, or
> DVD-RAM?  Looks like -RAM is basically non-existent media-wise.  +R
> and -R are both about $20/100 pack.  Flip a coin?

DVD+R is a technically superior format in terms of error correction and whatnot. It didn't come out until later though, so there's some tradeoff in compatibility (though in 2010 that's probably not much of an issue anymore).

DVD-RAM is another beast altogether. It's generally not what you mean for recording video, and the media is both hard to find and expensive.

	Zach