[Cialug] [OT] Hardware help

Daniel A Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri Feb 19 23:38:17 CST 2010

My primary machine is dead. I believe it is the power supply, for these reasons:

The computer was frozen. No output of any sort, no response to network, no activity lights. The power light was still on, however. The UPS the machine was plugged into was freaking out with lots of blinking lights, a shrill and annoying alarm, and the UPS' fans were running hard... until i unplugged the machine at which point it was fine. Once i plugged the machine in again, the power light wouldn't come on. Toggling the switch on the power supply and pushing the power button had no effect. I tried replacing the power supply with a spare and got the computer's power light to come on again and the cooling fans to spin.

The spare power supply i tested with, however, was inadequate. I need a modern ATX power supply that has an extra 4-pin connector that attaches to the motherboard right next to the main 24 pin connector. The spare supply i had on hand is too old and lacks that extra 4-pin connector.

So... does anyone in the Des Moines metro area have a spare modern power supply with the 4-pin connector? If it conforms to ATX 2.x it should be sufficient. Would you be willing to let me borrow it for testing? If so, please call me at 271-5233 anytime of day or night and i'll be happy to come get it. If you can't spare it for long, i can return it immediately after doing some testing. If you can be without it for a little longer, i'd like to borrow it long enough to order a replacement (assuming testing reveals power supply issues to be the problem).