[Cialug] Linux Nettops?

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Thu Feb 18 21:15:20 CST 2010

Depends a lot on what you want to do with it. If you're planning to either
watch full screen flash, or play back full HD (1080p) video, you want to
make sure you have the horespower to do so.

There are a few set-top boxes out now with the nVidia Ion chipset that may
do the job. I have not used them myself.

I have a PC with an AMD 4400+ X2 processor (2ghz), 2gb RAM, nVidia 8800
GTO card. Not cutting edge hardware, but pretty fast.

Running Linux, it is not quite able to run Hulu or Youtube video at
1080p without a little bit of stutter. Other video (xvid etc) plays back
at full HD just fine. I mostly run WinXP on it, for watching Hulu and
stuff. I believe that Flash is to blame for the Linux stutter issues.

I also have Boxee (for WinXP) installed. So far I'm not very impressed
with it - when you watch TV content from WB, for instance, Boxee overlays
its own vcr buttons and status bar on the player. The pause / play just
kinda work. You can pretty much forget skipping forward or back. It also
seems to have to pause more often to cache content than when I'm watching
content on Hulu.

There are a number of dedicated settop boxes, like Slingbox, and now a
Boxee box (I assume it works just like the Boxee experience above).

I'd be interested in hearing other people's real world experience with
this kind of thing as well... I think

-dc