[Cialug] Writeup soon - ZFS SAN build

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Tue Feb 16 19:06:23 CST 2010

I'd be interested in hearing how things go for you, so I'll keep an eye
out for sure.  I blew my tax return on a 1000GB dell fibre channel SAN.
It's *OLD*, but it talks at 1Gbps, which would give me read rates near
100MB/sec.  In comparison, my SATA-2 hard drives (mixture of 5400 and
7200rpm) only seem to be able to read at about 30MB/sec on a good day.

I've been working on this giant pile of metal for a week and a half with
very little success, but I am getting pretty close to a breakthrough, I
think.  Basically, the drivers to talk to the raid controllers in the
PV660F will only run on windows server 2003 or earlier, and my desktop
runs windows 7.  So, I came across a poweredge 1750 on ebay for $175 and
jumped on it.  I figure I'll install the 'trial version' of windows
server 2003 long enough to configure the raid controllers, then I should
be able to attach it to anything that has up-to-date drivers for the
fibre channel HBA.  After that, the poweredge can be convinced to run
something sane, like ubuntu server.

Unfortunately, none of what I'm doing with this hardware is really
linux-related.  I may decide to set the poweredge server up as a NAS
frontend for the fibre channel array, in which case I'll be using linux,
but if I can get that thing connected directly to my gaming pc via
fiber, that's the way it's going to be.  I'll have a bunch of questions
for the upcoming meeting. :)