[Cialug] Java

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 08:55:08 CST 2010

I used to not be a fan of java, but I am starting to come around a bit
more. The biggest three reasons I am starting to be a fan?
1) Crashplan -- backup software with de-dup, versioning, and other nice
features. Free for local, home use (limited to 10 computers per account,
and cannot backup to their servers, but you can backup to your own
machines, or friends machines). Cross platform/java. Even offers to
install java on linux to it's own directory if it doesn't find one it
can use, and then maintains this java version, along with updating itself.

2) PS3 Media Server -- java based DLNA server that 'just works' far
better than anything else I have tried with my PS3 -- it even comes
configured to know that DIV3 needs to be transcoded, but none of the
other DIVX family needs to be. Fairly lightweight, and easy to install
(untar). Works equally well on XP or Fedora. Well, that's not true -- on
Fedora, I can SSH into the server and manage, no need for RDP (which is
a headache from a netbook).

3) Tomcat.

I first started using all three of these programs in the last year or
so, and my opinion of java has done a huge turn-around in that time.

My .02 cents* worth.

Jeff

*http://consumerist.com/2006/12/transcript-verizon-doesnt-know-how-to-count.html