[Cialug] Linux/*nix NFS + VMware

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 17:43:18 CST 2010

My impression (no hard facts here) is that iSCSI is the preferred
network filesystem for VMware. NFS works well (and I've used it), but
I feel that iSCSI support in VMware is more robust.

That said, performance can be had with either solution. VMware's
official position is that you should follow the SAN/NAS manufacturer's
recommendations when configuring it for VMware. Each manufacturer does
things a little differently, so there is not a single "gold"
configuration from VMware that works best with all SANs/NASes...

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> There is a local vendor that seems very insistent than VMware using NFS is
> superior to iSCSI -something about no limits on reservations when compared
> to iSCSI.  They advocate NFS on NetApp.
>

> -Nate

Tired programmer
Coding late into the night