[Cialug] Wyse thin clients

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Tue Dec 28 10:28:48 CST 2010

On Dec 28, 2010, at 9:39 AM, L. V. Lammert wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried adding a USB device (in this case a barcode
> scanner) to these thin client systems? The specs say 'not all USB
> devices are supported', but there seems to be no information on how
> it handles them.

On their new "Wyse Thin OS" models (i.e. linux-based but no local apps) the supported devices are basically:
	Pre-formatted block storage
	Mouse
	Keyboard
So if your barcode scanner looks like a keyboard (many do) it might work.

According to Wyse's marketing materials the Windows-based and "Wyse Linux" models also support smart cards and more complex local storage (CD, floppy, etc.) but I've never tried any of that personally.

Beyond that they support a USB-TCP tunneling protocol as part of their TCX suite. With that you can expose client-side USB ports as though if they are local at the session host. You can also get a stand-alone USB-TCP bridge that does the same thing for about $50.

	Zach